Wednesday, October 26, 2005

AFI #002 Marlon Brando as Don Vito Corleone from The Godfather (1972)

Johnny Fontane: A month ago, he bought the movie rights to this book. A best seller – and the main character, it's a guy just like me. I, uh, I wouldn't even have to act, just be myself. [choking up] Oh, Godfather, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do.
[Don Corleone stands up and shakes Johnny]
Don Corleone: [shouting] You can act like a man!
[Don Corleone slaps Johnny]
Don Corleone: What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood finocchio that cries like a woman? [mockingly] "What can I do? What can I do?" What is that nonsense? Ridiculous. You spend time with your family?
Johnny Fontane: Sure I do.
Don Corleone: Good. A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man. Come here … you look terrible. I want you to eat. I want you to rest a while. And in a month from now, this Hollywood bigshot's gonna give you what you want.
Johnny Fontane: It's too late, they start shooting in a week.
Don Corleone: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. Now, you just go outside and enjoy yourself, and, uh, forget about all this nonsense. I want you – I want you to leave it all to me.

- Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone from The Godfather (1972)

The bolded line is ranked #2 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.


American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations

No comments:

Post a Comment